If there’s anything we’ve learned about this past year, it’s that our health is so precious and it’s important to keep our immune systems strong to fight against viruses and illnesses. Saffron is a powerful superfood, and among its many health benefits, is a great natural food to help support our immune system. From fighting inflammation to even supporting respiratory health, here are 6 ways that saffron supports immune function:
1. Saffron is packed with immunity-supporting vitamins like riboflavin B1, B2, B6, and Vitamin C. While vitamin supplements are great, going pill crazy is never ideal and getting your daily source of vitamins directly from the source is even better!
2. Saffron has anti-inflammatory effects: inflammation is a huge part of illness and disease, but multiple studies show that saffron fights inflammation (see sources below). It’s time you defend your immune system against harmful inflammation!
3. Saffron is a rich source of antioxidants: saffron is rich in antioxidants through a variety of its compounds (crocin, crocetin, safranal, and kaempferol) that all help protect your cells from oxidative stress. Because psychological or biological, the last thing we need is any kind of stress.
4. Saffron improves sleep quality: have you ever noticed getting sick after being sleep deprived? Saffron fights insomnia and helps improve our quality of sleep, which supports our immune systems. We recommend having a cup of non-caffeinated saffron tea before bedtime, just like you would drink chamomile or take melatonin. Our Saffron Rooibos makes a great nighttime tea option.
5. Saffron relieves stress: Stress can significantly weaken our immune system, but saffron is an all-natural mood booster. When you consume saffron, it changes the levels of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin in the brain aka helps keep your mood balanced. So feel free to sip away towards a good mood!
6. Saffron supports respiratory health: did you know that inflammation is actually a large culprit of many respiratory illnesses like asthma and allergies? There have been several studies citing the effect of saffron in reducing the inflammatory cells in respiratory illnesses, so we can all breathe easy with more saffron in our lives.
Start getting your immune function reinforcements by drinking saffron tea or incorporating saffron into your daily diet! You can buy saffron tea here and buy saffron spice here.