We've partnered with Chetna Macwan from Spice Culture Cooking to bring you this Halwa Srikand recipe! This Indian dessert is a thick yogurt-based pudding made with whole milk yogurt that is “hung” in a cheesecloth and has all liquids removed from it so you're left with only a thick, creamy yogurt - similar to Greek yogurt texture but minus that extra tartness. Chetna took it to another level by blending the yogurt with creamy mascarpone cheese to get this smooth, silky “pudding.” Topped with a number of sweet spices and garnishes, this Halwa Srikand makes a perfect Galentine's or Valentine's Day dessert!
HALWA SRIKAND (Saffron Yogurt Pudding)
Servings: 4-6 people
- 32 oz of whole milk plain yogurt (fresh or store-bought)
- 8 oz room-temperature mascarpone cheese
- 5 tsp of finely ground green cardamom
- 1 ¼ cup of sugar (add up to 1.5 cups for more sweetness)
- ¼ cup of crushed pistachios + 2 Tbsp. extra for garnish
- ¼ tsp of roughly crushed saffron + extra pinch for garnish
- 2-3 oz of small, cubed sesame halwa pieces (Joy Brand)
- 2 Tbsp of pomegranate seeds (garnish)
- 1 Tbsp of edible flowers (garnish)
Note: You may omit the halwa if desired and replace by adding extra pomegranate and pistachios.
- Place yogurt in a cheesecloth lined wide colander and allow all liquids in the yogurt to drain off completely. (This will take about 4-6 hours to make the “hung yogurt” for this dessert.) *Keep mixing yogurt every 2 hours to make sure the yogurt looks thick and very creamy – without liquids in it.
- Once yogurt has been fully drained and it has become extremely thick, remove from cheesecloth and place in a large bowl to begin prepping.
- Add in room-temperature mascarpone into the yogurt and blend together with hand mixer or spoon till it is all mixed together, smooth, and creamy. (The mixture should still be very thick in consistency.)
- Once mixed, fold in the cardamom, sugar, pistachios, saffron and halwa cubes. (Gently fold in all ingredients to avoid any halwa breakage.) *This is the time to add in extra pistachios & pomegranate if omitting halwa)
- Transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until very cold.
- When serving, remove from fridge and sprinkle all garnishes on top (pistachios, pomegranate seeds, edible flowers and saffron.)
- Serve cold.