Mashed potatoes are the best comfort food, and with a couple of little changes, you can take your mashed potatoes to the next level! Switch up your mashed potato routine by adding a splash of saffron to this creamy side dish. The golden color of the Yukon potatoes will be enhanced with a pinch of saffron and this delicious variation will quickly become a family favorite.
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a Kitchenaid mixer with whisk attachment (or you can use a regular bowl and an electric beater).
- Grind up the saffron with a mortar and pestle or the end of a rolling pin.
- Add butter and whisk your potatoes until the butter is incorporated.
- Add milk slowly until you have your ideal consistency.
- Add the saffron, garlic powder, salt and pepper and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Adjust quantities to your taste.
- When serving, add some strands of saffron over the mashed potatoes for texture and aesthetic.