We've partnered with Chetna Macwan from Spice Culture Cooking to bring you this delicious Sindhi Chicken Curry! Tender chicken thighs are cooked In a thick sauce made with mint, lemons, onions, various Indian spices and Tahmina saffron. The chicken has a fresh taste from the mint and lemon with a slight hint of delicious floral and burgundy color from the saffron to create a dish that is extremely satisfying and perfect with hot Indian bread and/or basmati rice.
Sindhi Chicken Curry
- 2 boxes of Shan Sindhi Biryani Mix
- 3 to 3.5 lbs. of boneless and skinless chicken thighs (cut into medium size chunks)
- 2 medium onions – diced small
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 mint bunches (removed from stems)
- 3 large lemons (cut in half and seeds removed)
- 1 bunch cilantro + 2 Tbsp. for garnish
- 1 cup of oil or ghee
- 1 tsp. crushed Tahmina saffron
- In a blender, add tomatoes, mint, lemon, and cilantro. Blend all together till it is fully blended into a chunky liquid. (Very small bits and pieces is fine. They will cook down on stove.) Set Aside.
- In a shallow, wide pan, heat oil on medium. Once hot, add in onions and allow to cook till golden brown and a bit translucent.
- Once onions are cooked, lower heat and add in add in chicken pieces, Shan Biryani Masala packs, blended lemon/cilantro mixture and saffron into the large frying pan on medium heat.
- Toss all ingredients gently till all chicken is covered and ingredients mixed well together.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat setting for about 25-30 minutes (checking and tossing in between a few times) or until the chicken is fully cooked. (There will be a lot of gravy and liquid from the chicken – this is fine. You may increase heat to burn off any excess liquid, if desired. (Turn off heat and transfer to desired serving dish.)
- Serve hot with favorite Indian bread, basmati rice and a raita. (Indian yogurt sauce)
NOTE: Recipe for RAITA below:
- In a large bowl, mix 1 32oz. container of plain yogurt, 1 cucumber diced into small pieces, 1 medium onion diced into small pieces, 1 Tbsp ground cumin powder (fresh if possible), 1 Tbsp salt (add more if desired)
- Mix all together till full blended and yogurt is smooth.
- Allow to cool in fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving.