It’s been a few months since the world watched the Afghan crisis and many of us have wondered how we can help. As the country faces economic collapse, one of the ways to help is by supporting businesses based in Afghanistan and fueling employment and economic empowerment. We’ve put together a list of Afghan-based/Afghan-owned small businesses that you can support during the holiday season!
1. Qadimi Rugs - Qadimi sells hand woven rugs straight from Afghanistan. The entire manufacturing process of these rugs is done within Afghanistan, with a focus placed on using traditional motifs and native wool in their hand-woven rugs. https://www.qadimirugs.com/
2. Ziba Foods - Ziba sells delicious, dried fruits and nuts from farmers in Afghanistan. Rich in nutrients and grown with care, Ziba works to restore Afghanistan to its position as a world-renowned provider of nuts and dried fruit. https://zibafoods.com/
3. Rumi Spice - At Rumi spice, you will find lots of flavorful spices from Afghanistan. Their aim is to provide jobs to Afghan farmers and women who harvest and process the spices. Maybe extra spice during the holiday season is just what you need! https://www.rumispice.com/
4. Veezha Jewelry - Veezha presents Afghanistan’s authentic handmade jewelry. Their jewelry designs are inspired by centuries old culture and arts of Afghanistan with a modern twist and highlight the brilliance of Afghan gemstones and craftsmanship. This would make a great gift for a close friend, a loved one or even yourself. https://www.veezha.com/
5. Zen Basil - Zen Basil is a business owned by an Afghan refugee. Her mission is to share basil seed, a superfood used frequently by her family in the Far East with her families in the West. Similar to chia seeds, basil seed can be used in many different recipes and is packed with nutrients! https://zenbasil.com/
6. Zarif Designs - Zarif is an Afghan brand that aims to connect workers in Afghanistan to the market in the USA. Their handmade clothing is high quality, and uniquely beautiful. Perfect for anyone who wants to stand out in an elegant, powerful way. https://www.zarifdesign.com/
7. Tahmina - Tahmina is a WOC-owned brand with a mission to build ethical markets for conflict-affected communities. Our maiden project is Afghan saffron and saffron-infused teas. We will be donating all proceeds of our sales to relief efforts in Afghanistan. https://www.tahminatea.com
All of these businesses have experienced incredible hardship this year and continue to face much uncertainty. However, we want to continue supporting the economic empowerment of the Afghan people and support these businesses. We hope this list of Afghan businesses has given you some ideas of where to shop this holiday season. Thank you from all of us at Tahmina for following and caring for Afghanistan during this trying time. You are the brave ones: empower Afghan communities this holiday season and give the gift of courage!