Did you know Cleopatra used to bathe in saffron every day? She touted saffron as a beauty agent and aphrodisiac, but it turns out there’s a rhyme to the reason, and modern science shows us that saffron has many powerful benefits for our skin and beauty. In this article, we’re going to address external skincare issues as well as deeper internal causes for healthy skin, because beauty is something to be felt and lived both inside and out!
1. Saffron has high levels of vitamin C. Vitamin C has long been known as an important ingredient to incorporate in our skincare routines, and given the high levels of vitamin C found in saffron, it can be especially beneficial to incorporate in skincare products to help with brightening skin tone, texture (from acne scarring), reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
2. Saffron has anti-aging effects. According to this Healthline article that goes into scientific studies of saffron and dermatology, saffron combats the signs of aging by protecting against UV radiation, fighting your skin’s oxidative stress, and neutralizing free radicals. There are a lot of things we can’t turn back the time on, but we can with our skin and saffron!
3. Saffron reduces hyperpigmentation. We all know how annoying blemishes can be, but clinical studies show that saffron’s active compounds help lower melanin production. Say hello to even and glowing skin!
4. Saffron helps heal wounds faster. Did you know that Alexander the Great used to bathe in saffron after his battles to heal his war wounds? Shockingly enough, there are modern clinical studies that explain this practice, finding that saffron helps in cell multiplication, leading to faster healing of wounds. This is key for reducing skin infections and scarring. We may not have the $$$$ to have daily saffron baths like Alexander the Great, but we can take advantage of saffron’s healing properties!
5. Saffron helps you sleep. Saffron improves our quality of sleep. Saffron helps you to fall asleep faster and get deeper, better quality sleep. Sleep is essential to healthy skin and better moods! Especially these days where we seem to be in an epidemic of poor sleep, a cup of saffron tea before bed might be just what you need to help you sink into a deeper night’s sleep. They call it beauty sleep for a reason!
6. Saffron helps regulate hormone cycles and menstrual pain. We all know that when it’s that time of the month, and hormone regulation has huge effects on the health of our skin. Saffron is a natural anti-inflammatory and can be helpful for treating headaches, cravings, and period pains. It also helps to boost your mood by increasing serotonin levels, which go down during periods. Having more stability in our hormones can help give our skin a break from responding to the roller coaster of our emotions.
7. Saffron helps relieve stress. We all know that stress does not look good on anybody. Saffron is an all-natural mood booster! When you consume saffron, it changes the levels of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin in the brain aka helps keep your mood balanced. Reducing stress is essential to fighting acne and oil secretion, so feel free to sip away towards a good mood and better skin. No more meltdowns here!
8. Saffron supports immunity and fights inflammation. Saffron is a powerful superfood, and among its many health benefits, is a great natural food to help support our immune system. From fighting inflammation to providing vitamins, saffron is one superfood that will definitely boost your immune system! Click here to read our blog about how saffron boosts immunity.
Using saffron can not only help your skin look more beautiful, but can also help you to feel more rested, relaxed, and less stressed. True beauty lies within us and we have to put in the work to believe, see and feel it. Drinking saffron tea is a great way to get saffron in your system, and you can also check out this article to see different saffron products to use for your skin. And remember, you are beautiful, inside and out!