In 2021, we didn’t expect to be in year two of the pandemic. Whether your new year resolutions are going well or (like us) you’ve already broken them, we realize it has universally been a stressful year on our bodies and minds. With anxiety at an all-time high, it’s important to find wellness products and routines that actually can help calm our mental angst and could easily be incorporated into a healthier daily routine.
This is why we love saffron. It's the superfood you didn’t know about but we should all be using more in 2021. Those who know about saffron know of it as an exotic and very expensive spice, but saffron boasts several health benefits when consumed regularly. Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, saffron has been used in various medicinal treatments that date as far back as 3,500 years ago. There is a wealth of scientific, clinical studies in modern-day research as well (searching with saffron's scientific name crocus sativus is most effective if you're interested to do more research).
Here are the top 9 benefits that saffron can help with:
- Depression and anxiety - Drinking saffron tea has been known to give an instant mood-boosting and calming effect. Saffron has similar antidepressant effects as fluoxetine (in a widely-known study), but is a completely natural alternative.
- Immunity boosting - Saffron has powerful antioxidant capabilities that help maintain a sharp immune system (something we all need right now in pandemic times!)
- Insomnia - We’re into the occasional melatonin for sleepless nights, maybe even something stronger; however, caffeine-free saffron tea (like our Rooibos blend) feels less non-habit forming and a nice addition to your nighttime routine when needed.
- Aphrodisiac/sexual dysfunction - Valentine's Day is around the corner, and saffron is an aphrodisiac that can help with sexual dysfunction in both genders. A subject that is not discussed regularly and can help discretely treat those intimacy issues.
- PMS symptoms and PCOS - Period pain be gone! A great natural option to help alleviate symptoms of bloating, cramping, and can be particularly beneficial if you suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- High blood pressure + cardiovascular health - Saffron helps lower blood pressure and prevents bad cholesterol when consumed regularly.
- Cancer fighting - Saffron is full of antioxidants and flavonoids, which are known to have cancer preventing capabilities, and several clinical studies suggest it can be beneficial in treating certain cancers.
- Brain health and memory - Help your brain feel its best with the memory boosting power of saffron. The crocin and crocetin compounds found in saffron could be the key to treating diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s in the long run.
- Acne scarring/skin-brightening - Given the high levels of vitamin C found in saffron, it can be especially beneficial to incorporate in skincare products to help with brightening skin tone, texture (from acne scarring), reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Here are some top beauty products to consider with saffron.
It’s clear that saffron has such a wide range of health benefits. Drinking saffron tea is considered one of the most common ways to incorporate it into your regular diet and routine. We love any reason to plug our products, but we’re particularly proud of the saffron-blended teas we offer. We took the time to get the blend of teas and saffron just right, so you get the maximum benefits with every cup. Despite what we cannot control in 2021, we invite you to join us in taking healthier steps we can control in our daily routines. Here’s to many saffron tea breaks ahead in the new year!